Topics

Help

Lynnea Roon

I have a wikispaces called RoonScience
All my video links I show as a teacher on it.
Is there a way to just copy and paste it all at once to a new website.... keeping all the titles that connect to each link..
Can it be that simple?

Lynnea Roon

On Fri, May 4, 2018, 5:09 PM Tom H <ve3meo@...> wrote:
If yours is a public wiki, I hope you will share your URL in the Database Table on the main forum with an announcement of when you have posted it. And please do not exercise the Domain Forwarding feature immediately so that we have time to review the before and after sites!

Tom H

Not so simple... But, fortunately, your Wikispaces Classroom site comprises only two pages with no use of WS exclusive features. You can readily create a basic HTML website and copy each page from your browser into the website's page editor. All your links are to external URLs and do not need revision. However, the on-page images are from files stored on WS. You will need to download them from WS and upload them to the new site and then change the image links on your new site from the old to the new.

Wikispaces streamlines the process with its Export utility in Settings. Use the HTML option. It will make available to you a zip file containg your HTML pages and the media files, linked. You can upload these to a blank website and be pretty much finished apart from building a home page and maybe a navigation menu.

Lynnea Roon

Thabk you Tom.
Do you have a recommendarion of a new web page company that would be work well for me?

On Fri, May 4, 2018, 11:44 PM Tom H <ve3meo@...> wrote:
Not so simple... But, fortunately, your Wikispaces Classroom site comprises only two pages with no use of WS exclusive features. You can readily create a basic HTML website and copy each page from your browser into the website's page editor. All your links are to external URLs and do not need revision. However, the on-page images are from files stored on WS. You will need to download them from WS and upload them to the new site and then change the image links on your new site from the old to the new.

Wikispaces streamlines the process with its Export utility in Settings. Use the HTML option. It will make available to you a zip file containg your HTML pages and the media files, linked. You can upload these to a blank website and be pretty much finished apart from building a home page and maybe a navigation menu.

Tom H

Because you are a teacher in a school system, I would suggest you ask the advice of your Board's Technology or Website administrator. They may have what you need or can suggest something for which they can provide support.

Absent any such support, your current site is so simple that it can be easily set up on one of numerous free hosts. Your own Internet Service Provider may offer subscribers a free website. Google Sites is free and Google has a rich set of offerings for educators in its free Google Classroom or G-Suite for Education service. There are other free webhosts such as 000webhost.com. In all of these cases, your URL is going to be a subdomain of theirs. Were you then to transfer to another host, your URL will have to change, just as it will when you leave Wikispaces.com. It might be worthwhile for you to register your own domain name but this will cost $10-$20 p.a. to maintain. Many Domain Registrars such as GoDaddy.com will throw in a free website; Google and 000webhost are also Registrars. You can freely transfer your domain registration to a different Registrar.

Lynnea Roon

Wow thanks for all the info!  I will talk to my tech department.