Re: Other migration examples, discussions #wikispaces

Tom H

Edited

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 12:20 pm, <marcem13601@...> wrote:
*Here is a handy JSON converter for the discussions - http://json2table.com/
I created a few batch files and the online converter worked just as well.
I rather like the HTML output fromĀ http://json2html.varunmalhotra.xyz/. It renders the embedded HTML code while json2table.com does not.
Don't know how to batch either of them.
Example:

page Corrupt Database Recovery
page_id 97447356
share_type discussion
created 2012-03-10T11:40:35-08:00
createdBy ve3meo
title Drag 'n' Drop vs Export "everything"
description
Added by Jerry Bryan 3/10/2012

(Tom, I'm sometimes still figuring out how to work the Wiki. I was just wanting in some sense to REPLY to this page and not really edit it, but I couldn't figure out a way to do so. Please free to delete my comments from here and move them somewhere else.)

This page is a wonderful cautionary tale. It made me think that maybe once a week or so I should just drag and drop my entire database somewhere else, just to see what happens. I wouldn't really use the copy, but maybe the drag and drop of the entire database might expose invisible database corruption that might otherwise remain invisible. Is that what you are saying? If so, then I would have one very minor quibble. Namely, in item (2) under recovery techniques, you say: "If you check off to include everything possible in the export, it is equivalent to (1)."

Item (2) is the export and item (1) is the drag and drop. The way I read the sentence I'm quoting, there is an expectation that drag and drop will include everything and that export will include everything only if you check to include everything possible. But my understanding is that drag and drop is fully equivalent to export, and to do a proper drag and drop of "everything" you would have to "check off to include everything possible" just like you would if you were doing an export of "everything".

You can post messages "behind" the page. You can also Edit the page, select a key phrase and add a comment linked to the phrase. The phrase will be highlighted in yellow and the comments sidebar can be opened and closed to view the comment. The comment will also appear as a message "behind" the page.

I realise now after Geranium's msg that Exporting Everyone with all the inclusions checked and exclusions unchecked is not as complete as Drag'n'Drop Everyone because some Fact settings exclude elements from export but not from DnD. To be truly equal, you would also have to go through the FactType List and include everything in it for export.

Tom