Topics

Potential destinations #wikispaces

Tom H

From Wikispaces:
You can export or download your data by following the steps below. Please note that this will download in Wikispaces Format and, if you are planning to upload this onto another site you may find it easier to copy and paste the data from directly your Wiki to your new chosen Wiki site. Please keep this in mind and allow yourself enough time to do this.
While the above text says the download will be in Wikispaces Format, the procedure gives a choice from among html, several wiki dialects and pdf. Files, pages, et al can be delivered in zip or tgz format.

Tom H

It's unclear what the distinction is between "Wikispaces Format" and these export formats. Is the former a style of presentation and structure and the latter the dialect used for page editing and content?

Tom H

Also from Wikispaces:

Are there alternatives to Wikispaces I can use?

There are many sites that are similar to Wikispaces and used for education purposes.  We would recommend conducting your own research in order to locate a site right for your needs and set up or contact that company directly.

For some other alternative sites, please also check out some of these links;
https://www.pbworks.com/education.html
http://referata.com/wiki/Main_Page
https://moodle.org/

Tom H

Edited

The public message from Wikispaces about Alternatives is missing the following paragraph that is incorporated in the Announcement I accessed through my wiki's settings:

To create sites, take a look at https://www.sites.google.com/ you can create, edit and publish a site. You do require a google account and either Firefox or Chrome to upload the site

On Feb 15, 2018 3:40 PM, "Tom H" <ve3meo@...> wrote:
Also from Wikispaces:

Are there alternatives to Wikispaces I can use?

There are many sites that are similar to Wikispaces and used for education purposes.  We would recommend conducting your own research in order to locate a site right for your needs and set up or contact that company directly.

For some other alternative sites, please also check out some of these links;
https://www.pbworks.com/education.html
http://referata.com/wiki/Main_Page
https://moodle.org/

camperdog3@...

Hi All:  I'm new to the group, having just discovered (to my immense disappointment) that Wikispaces is going away.   Because I teach at a number of different sites, I rely heavily on WS as I move around.   Have folks already researched acceptable alternatives?  How about this site (Groups.io)?   If this site is considered good, is it easy to transfer our WS content here?  Has anyone created simple and clear directions?   I'm grateful for whatever you can pass along as I decide what to do next.    S.

Tom H

Glad to see your first post to our nascent group. I suspect every member so far has the same questions and may be disappointed to find there are, as yet, no answers here. I couldn't find answers anywhere so I launched this forum in the hope that a collective might develop answers together, more easily and efficiently than each of us on our own.

I have started exploring Google Sites as an alternative and report on that in a subgroup so named.

Groups.io is new to me, too. I know of it because I also belong to a few Yahoo Groups, some of which having been transferred to it because of Yahoo's troubles. I have created a subgroup for discussion of it and intend to explore it, too.

I will setup subgroups for all targets that members explore. Inconveniently, you have to join a subgroup to participate; membership in subgroups is not inherited from the main group, AFAIK. Tell me if you can see my posts in the GoogleSites group before joining it.

Tom