Topics

Other migration examples, discussions #wikispaces

Tom H

Edited

Marc M

Hi guys, new here.  We have a wikispaces site covering our local area - basically everything about it, though centering mostly on historical aspects (http://jeffco.wikispaces.com/).  A group of us have been working on it for years but mostly it's my friend and I who have contributed the most content.  It's over 880 pages so we don't want to be cutting and pasting in an effort to migrate it elsewhere.  It would be a pretty big job.

Looking through all of the export formats it seems like they should be able to be imported into the various pieces of software that they correspond to.  But after investigating this it seemed to either not be the case, the process would leave everything unconnected and jumbled, or the process was beyond me and it was questionable what would happen anyway.  I think this meshes with what others have found (outside of the company that is charging to do a migration).

I am a professional web designer with a specialty in Wordpress so I got to thinking about customers who I have migrated from static sites to Wordpress.  Sometimes for certain things we may 'cheat' a bit and paste HTML directly into a Wordpress page editor until such a time as we can go back and 'fix' it to more modern standards.

So I got to wondering if I could create a script to import the Wikispaces HTML export directly into Wordpress' MYSQL database?  I played around with it a bit until I started wondering if someone else had already created a plugin for this.

Sure enough, someone had created a plugin that imports a series of HTML files, keeping links and codes and even importing graphics (thanks to Stephanie Leary and her HTML import plug - http://stephanieleary.com/code/wordpress/html-import/ and https://wordpress.org/plugins/import-html-pages/).

I played around with it a bit - importing a few pages as well as importing the entire group of unzipped HTML files multiple times and then resetting Wordpress to default for testing the various options over and over.

I found that, all-in-all, it worked beautifully.  That's not to say that it worked perfectly and - there was a lot of trial and error, and I had to load ALL of the files into a multiple tabbed editor and do a mass search and replace on all links and play around with a few things.  Fortunately the mass search and replace only takes seconds.  But now I have a working 'wiki' with all pages included, linked, searchable and I didn't have to spend 880 hours cutting and pasting.  There's still some things to fix and lots of things that can now be prettied up since it is in Wordpress.

This is just a temporary location for proof-of-concept and experimentation as we are still trying to decide where it's new home will be (I'm hosting it on my own leased server at the moment) so if anyone wants to take a look at what I did it is here - http://oabonny.com/jeffcowiki/

If anyone would like a more detailed explanation of what I did please let me know, I'd like to help out as many people as possible.  It's not simple but it is doable.

Allen Webb

Nice job!

I would love to have a specific set of steps to follow to do the same thing.  And/or a YouTube video...

Allen

On 3/15/18 12:01 PM, marcem13601@... wrote:

[...]

I'm very interested and would encourage you to post here your procedure or, at least, a link to it. This group is steadily growing and the need for solutions will peak with each of the three drop-dead dates announced by Wikispaces.

I like the idea of a site sucker to pull the content. Wikispaces' export separates the Page discussions and comments from the 'Page' itself so one has to find a way to reconnect them. I started copying from the Ws site pages to BlueGriffon editor to pick up page content and discussions. That still misses the Comments but I then copy them into what seems like a sidebar so the resulting page is complete.

I was planning to use a multifile editor to extract all the icon links to pull them down one at a time. And then the same to redirect the image and file URLs. Haven't done that sort of thing for a couple of decades so there's a lot of rust to clean off.

Would that sitesucker produce html files that could be used with non-WordPress hosts?

Tom H

Edited

Here's a blogger who has used the MacOS app SiteSucker to pull down content which he has processed through many passes of batch search & replace to get something workable. This was after he, too, 'pooped' on the Wikispaces export. http://cogdogblog.com/2018/02/wikispaces-poops-the-web/

Marc M

Youch - if I'm understanding what he is getting for an output that guy went through a lot of trouble when maybe he could have just exported it in Wikispaces and gotten his whole site in static HTML pages and just uploaded them without changing links or anything.   I think he wanted his menu bar and such but it's a lot easier to just export it all in HTML format and then create a little index page with a search and such than going through all of that trouble.  Though in the Wikispaces export HOME.HTML is the home page, without the menu buttons - which can be added.

If anyone wants to do that and have a static output accessible on the Internet it's very easy to do.  Here's a test I did with mine - http://hmienterprises.com/jeffcowiki/Jefferson%20County.html  Nothing is editable of course, and it could do with a search and a better index (a modification of the home.html) but if any Wikispaces members want to just do it that way it's really easy to do.

I'm not familiar with the Sitesucker app that he references since it is for the Mac but the method I mention is NOT using a sitesucker or whatever you want to call it.

The problem here is that all of your data on Wikispaces is not stored on static webpages (I remember the old days when you could use a program like that to just copy a bunch of HTML files off someone's site).

Your wiki's pages are created on-the-fly by the wiki software from where they are stored in a database.  So that kind of 'Sitesucker' software must access each page and grab it's content.

The method I used grabs the content from a sub-directory on the same server as where the Wordpress installation is living, and the content must already be exported from Wikispaces in HTML format.  I'll go into the process more in the next message.

I want to throw out an idea here also.  I don't want to make a big deal out of advertising my services and such but if this all seems too complicated I think I am willing to help people out for a fair price.  If you want a static HTML site created from your Wikispaces site it's not a big deal.  If you want a member/contributor/editor editable site like a wiki using Wordpress then I could do that I believe, again for a fair price. Otherwise see my next message for a more detailed explanation of the process I used.

Marc M

BTW, Tom H - to directly answer the last line of your message; you don't need any 'sitesucker' software of anything like that to produce HTML files.  You can export them directly from your Wikispaces page under "Exports/Backups".  Then you have static HTML and can dump it into some webspace and have a static non-visitor/contributor-editable copy of your Wiki - not much else needs to be done.

Marc M

I'm going to write you guys up a blog post with screenshots, might take me a few days.

Tom H

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 08:00 am, <marcem13601@...> wrote:
you don't need any 'sitesucker' software of anything like that to produce HTML files.  You can export them directly from your Wikispaces page under "Exports/Backups".  Then you have static HTML and can dump it into some webspace and have a static non-visitor/contributor-editable copy of your Wiki
Yes, I am aware of that. Moreover the exported Page files do not include the Discussions and Comments - these are exported to the "discussions" folder in JSON files. For a WS wiki that has no Discussions and Comments, the exported, static HTML pages could well suffice. Another thing lost is layout (e.g., image size, text wrapping,...). My own WS site makes fairly extensive use of Discussions, Comments and layout so I am interested in a more complete and faithful import of the original pages into the new site.

Tom H

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 11:40 am, <marcem13601@...> wrote:
I'm going to write you guys up a blog post with screenshots, might take me a few days.
Looking forward to it!

Tom H

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 08:29 am, Tom H wrote:
I probably should have set this up as a database, but it's a start and shows diverse types of migration targets.
Here's the database: Wikispaces Migration Examples
Please feel free to update it with examples you come across that may be of interest to the group.

Tom

Marc M

What I am going to do with our discussions is set up a BBPress or Buddypress plugin in Wordpress for discussions and for the discussions from Wikispaces just just a multifile text editor to strip out all of the Javascript/Json coding and paste these discussions in static form in an archival page off form the Wordpress discussions page.  That way we still have access to all of those old discussions, and it may perhaps seed new ones.

About the formatting - I was thinking that I saw some image size formatting in the HTML output files but my eyes are crossing from looking at it so I have to stop for now.

But it looks like the only thing that retains full formatting is the PDF export.  If you could find something to extract each PDF page and that would convert the formatting into HTML or another format you might be able to recover the formatting that way.  I copy text from PDF's for my work and convert them to graphics but I don't remember if I there is anythign that exports the text with formatting.

For the text on our site I will probably invoke the Wordpress theme's text justification sitewide and let Wordpress handle that for word wrapping and such.

Marc M

A few things -

*Image sizing is retained in HTML files exported from Wikispaces.

*Here is a handy JSON converter for the discussions - http://json2table.com/
I created a few batch files and the online converter worked just as well.

Tom H

Edited

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 12:20 pm, <marcem13601@...> wrote:
*Here is a handy JSON converter for the discussions - http://json2table.com/
I created a few batch files and the online converter worked just as well.
I rather like the HTML output from http://json2html.varunmalhotra.xyz/. It renders the embedded HTML code while json2table.com does not.
Don't know how to batch either of them.
Example:

page Corrupt Database Recovery
page_id 97447356
share_type discussion
created 2012-03-10T11:40:35-08:00
createdBy ve3meo
title Drag 'n' Drop vs Export "everything"
description
Added by Jerry Bryan 3/10/2012

(Tom, I'm sometimes still figuring out how to work the Wiki. I was just wanting in some sense to REPLY to this page and not really edit it, but I couldn't figure out a way to do so. Please free to delete my comments from here and move them somewhere else.)

This page is a wonderful cautionary tale. It made me think that maybe once a week or so I should just drag and drop my entire database somewhere else, just to see what happens. I wouldn't really use the copy, but maybe the drag and drop of the entire database might expose invisible database corruption that might otherwise remain invisible. Is that what you are saying? If so, then I would have one very minor quibble. Namely, in item (2) under recovery techniques, you say: "If you check off to include everything possible in the export, it is equivalent to (1)."

Item (2) is the export and item (1) is the drag and drop. The way I read the sentence I'm quoting, there is an expectation that drag and drop will include everything and that export will include everything only if you check to include everything possible. But my understanding is that drag and drop is fully equivalent to export, and to do a proper drag and drop of "everything" you would have to "check off to include everything possible" just like you would if you were doing an export of "everything".

You can post messages "behind" the page. You can also Edit the page, select a key phrase and add a comment linked to the phrase. The phrase will be highlighted in yellow and the comments sidebar can be opened and closed to view the comment. The comment will also appear as a message "behind" the page.

I realise now after Geranium's msg that Exporting Everyone with all the inclusions checked and exclusions unchecked is not as complete as Drag'n'Drop Everyone because some Fact settings exclude elements from export but not from DnD. To be truly equal, you would also have to go through the FactType List and include everything in it for export.

Tom