Topics

Referata is a non-starter? #referata #mediawiki

Tom H

On the Wikispaces Site Closure announcement for Classroom and Free Wikis it says:
For some other alternative sites, please also check out some of these links;
http://referata.com/wiki/Main_Page
Referata uses MediaWiki (or an extended version named Semantic MediaWiki) and Wikispaces exports to MediaWiki format. Its free Basic plan offers unlimited pages and 100 MB storage, sufficient to transfer my site and allow it to grow some.

So I registered and created an empty site. It seemed very slow at that which might not augur well for ongoing performance. However, that proved to be the least of my problems.

Referata will not import the MediaWiki export from Wikispaces. It requires the content to be in XML and expects certain fields to be included and populated, having to do with author, revision number, etc, as I could see in its export of a page. So one is left with manual page creation and copy/paste from each Wikispaces page with site links having to be edited. And to compound the labour, images and other files used in a page or on the site have to be uploaded singly.

I feel Wikispaces does us a disservice by even listing Referata. There is no migration path... It would be nice if someone could prove that assertion wrong; I cannot find one.

CiviHosting

I feel Wikispaces does us a disservice by even listing Referata. There
is no migration path... It would be nice if someone could prove that
assertion wrong; I cannot find one.
Hi. We tried this now also and also experienced significant latency (slowness) in the response times from Referata.

We can also confirm that we did not find any way to import a Wikispaces wiki into Referata either.

Thank you,
CiviHosting