Topics

Check host's terms for file types #export #problem

Tom H

One thing to check in choosing a target host for your transfer is whether it allows all the file types you are exporting from your Wikispaces site. This won't be an issue for most but it is for me. One free web hosting service with which I have been experimenting says the following:
You will not use this Site or the Services in a manner (as determined by hostname in its sole and absolute discretion) that:
  • ...
  • Contains or installs .exe, .apk, .dmg, .cmd, .com, .bat, .osx, .msi, .app files;
A control that it applies is discernible in its FTP service in that the FTP client reports that it has successfully uploaded a .bat file but it is unlisted in the remote directory. This suggests that the host has a filter that immediately deletes the file on completion of the upload.

A workaround, in this case, is to add the .bak extension to the filename and then upload it. However, would the renamed file remain for the long term? Also any links to the original filename would have to be revised.

So it may be safer all around to seek a host that permits all of your file types.