Topics

MyWikis offers migration to MediaWiki #mediawiki #mywikis #migration

Tom H

Just discovered this blog post announcing a migration service by MyWikis. No charge conversion. $50 p.a. Basic Plan supports 1 MediaWiki wiki but editing is in wikitext. The $100 p.a. Pro Plan supports 2 wikis and adds a WYSIWYG visual editor.

Jeffrey Wang (MyWikis)

Hello everyone,
I'm Jeffrey with MyWikis. We offer MediaWiki hosting at low monthly or annual prices. If you are interested in migrating your Wikispaces wiki to a MediaWiki instance, we would be more than happy to assist you. Our migration process is free of charge and painless on your side; it is done under supervision of our tech support team using an automated script that bulk imports your content into MediaWiki.

As Tom as previously mentioned, we have imported his wiki with minimal effort on his side for the import process. Not only do we import pages, but also the images. Since MediaWiki does not include a nested comments-based discussion feature, we do not import comments automatically (and we'd like to work with everyone here to see how we should best proceed). While I will admit that Wikispaces syntax is not perfectly compatible with MediaWiki syntax (and therefore causes some formatting glitches), they can be fixed manually after the import is complete. We're always open to input and we'd like to reach our goal of helping everyone who wants to migrate their wiki to MediaWiki, as easily as possible on your side.

Please check out more info at our webpage for Wikispaces migration if you are interested: https://www.mywikis.com/wikispaces and please let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to answer them. Thanks!

Terry King

Edited

Hi,
I see similar issues (expected) with links.. Some are rights, some have original wikispaces URL, and some, like in your example:

/Source%20List%20Query Source List Query

Are missing the first part of the URL.

I made a hotkey that Prepends the needed part. In my case: http://arduinoinfo.mywikis.net/wiki

It's possible but somewhat dangerous to have an extension added that can do totally global find-replace . "REPLACE TEXT" "Provides a special page to allow administrators to do a global string find-and-replace on all the content pages of a wiki"

MAYBE I'll do that...

Tom H

Thanks for that post, Terry. I was about to look into a global search and replace - am brand new to MediaWiki so everything is low on the learning curve. I cannot open the page with your tool, of course, so perhaps you could tell us how you got the tool onto your site.

Your migration looks very presentable and I found your original site so I will add it to the Migration Examples table. What status would you say your migration is currently at? You can update it in the Databases area of the Group.

Terry King

Hi Tom,

I asked Jeffrey (ticket) in install the extension. Special Pages > version
is where you will see installed extensions.

Regards, Terry King
...In the Woods in Vermont USA
terry@...

-The One who Dies with the most Parts LOSES. What do you need??

On Fri, April 13, 2018 4:48 pm, Tom H wrote:
Thanks for that post, Terry. I was about to look into a global search and
replace - am brand new to MediaWiki so everything is low on the learning
curve. I cannot open the page with your tool, of course, so perhaps you
could tell us how you got the tool onto your site.

Your migration looks very presentable and I found your original site so I
will add it to the Migration Examples table. What status would you say
your migration is currently at? You can update it in the Databases area of
the Group.

Tom H

I am making no progress with batch fixing links on my trial site. Too many system glitches. The Visual Editor does not load reliably and appears to crash the site for tens of seconds or some minutes. The source code editor may be more reliable but I'm unfamiliar with the format; I relied primarily on the visual editor in Wikispaces and only went into the Wikitext editor when necessary to sort out something that just wouldn't work as it should.

I got the Replace Text extension added. While it looks to work for plain text search & replace, every time I've tried the regular expression option, even with plain text, I get a "database error occurred". Methinks this is due to the database engine. SpecialPage:Version reports

Installed software

 SQLite supports regex for search but not for replace.
@Terry: do you get the same results?