Topics

Migration for Dummies #migration #dummies

Tom H

I've fielded a couple of online and offline conversations that, coupled with the low rate of participation by members, make me realize that some members are overwhelmed by the technical discussions and need more in the line of Migration for Dummies. I'm not sure if that warrants a sub-group but a discussion probably needs to begin somewhere so, why not here.

A discussion was started by a teacher in the DokuWiki subgroup here. Her Wikispaces site seems simple: only 2 pages, 1 short and 1 very long with many external hyperlinks, few files and public. Simple is good for easier migration! I've suggested she inquire of her Board's Internet administrator whether there is resource she can use or help provided.

Off-line, another teacher founded a private Wikispaces site shared among a subset of peers in their Board. It's a bigger site, with a couple hundred pages and many files but members do not directly contribute or comment. That's good for simplicity but restricted access is a complication. That teacher does not want to migrate into a Board-owned site for reasons of copyright.

These two teachers are probably representative of a large subset of Wikispaces Free Wiki Organizers. The Free wikis, as of a few years ago, were available only to teachers and educational institutions. With shutdown on July 31 but 84 days away and counting, many of these Organizers are getting anxious to find a way out.

If you think you are a website Dummy, please don't be afraid to ask questions.
If you have answers, please respond because I cannot know all  the answers nor do I have the time (I, too, am a WS Organizer trying to find my way out!)

Marc M

I think there may also be some misinformation among those wanting to migrate but who aren't technically inclined or not interested/do not have the time to delve into the process, because of it's complexity.

One person inquired with me about transferring their Wiki to Dokuwiki because it was free, but perhaps didn't understand that the services offering this may say the process is free but only if they sign up for hosting.

CiviHosting

One person inquired with me about transferring their Wiki to Dokuwiki
because it was free, but perhaps didn't understand that the services
offering this may say the process is free but only if they sign up for
hosting.
This is apparently a reference to CiviHosting as we are the only firm offering this, as far as we know.

Given that we have not advertised our services here since the inception of this group, we will take this opportunity to do so.

The easiest way to migrate your Wikispaces wiki is to hire someone else to do it for a small fee. If you are not looking for a paid-for service, you can ignore this rest of this message. :)

CiviHosting offers a service to migrate Wikispaces wikis to DokuWiki or WordPress and then host the new wiki for you. There is no work or effort involved on your part, as we handle the entire migration for you. We are actively migrating Wikispaces sites to our servers, both Classroom, Free, Plus, Super Wikis and Private Label Wikis.

DokuWiki is free software, which means anyone can get it and use it for free. But to use it for a site on the internet one needs web hosting. This is our business and we take a fee to provide such hosting. More details about our services are available online here:

https://civihosting.com/wikispaces-migration/

and any interested parties can contact us directly with any questions.

Thank you,
CiviHosting Sales Team

Marc M

You're offering a very useful service, covering a niche that no one else is.  I think some see 'free software' and don't understand that there's more involved than just setting up Dokuwiki.

Tom H

One of the first questions you need to answer is how big is your Wiki? If you can use Excel, there is a ready answer available via the Download button on the bottom of your Wikispaces Pages+Files page.

Clicking on it will download a CSV file of the entire list which can be opened by Excel or other spreadsheet software. You can sum the Size column for the total number of bytes and divide that by 2^20 for the number of MB as shown by the highlighted cells below.

128MB is more than can be accommodated on some free sites - Google Classic Sites being one. It could easily store the Pages but a goodly number of the bigger files, if not all, would have to be stored on, say, Google Drive, which allows up to 15GB for free. All the non-free webhosts listed in the Destinations 1 table offer at least 1GB storage capacity.

Jerry Bryan

I wanted to check in just so people would know I'm here. In general, I'm pretty much of a techie but in the case of wiki's and forums and that sort of thing, I have no expertise at all. So I have little to nothing to contribute and I'm just watching.

Jerry

On 5/8/2018 2:56 PM, Tom H wrote:
[...]

Paul Beaufait

The pointer to the download buttons and the formula for spreadsheets were spot on; they've enabled me to assess the enormity of tasks ahead in order to rescue content from seven wikis developed over a dozen years. Thanks, Tom!

norlandg@...

I have two wikis that I have used as supplemental resources for my middle school classes, and more recently at the college level.  I like the set up and ability to have discussion posts. What are your thoughts on other sites that offer the same structure as wiki.spaces?  I have very little knowledge on any of this, and am interested in what others are doing to transfer and continue their collections.

Tom H

Organizers of free Wikispaces sites are now faced with but 49 days before shutdown. There is no free service or tool to migrate to a free host that does not involve more technical knowledge or aptitude than was necessary to start up on Wikispaces. There are fee-based web hosts that provide migration services. For those Organizers with many pages and files, they may be the only option, short of abandoning the work that has gone on before. For simple Wikispaces sites with few pages, the better free solution may be to find a free web host and use its site builder tools to build a new replacement site, page by page - still a learning curve because its user interface is different from that of Wikispaces. If page visibility is to be restricted from public viewing, the choices narrow even more.

Your options are:
  1. Roll up your sleeves and DIY
  2. Pay (or otherwise get) someone else to do it
  3. Give up
And face the fact that there are Wikispaces features that cannot migrate or are incompletely supported by the target system. If your WS site did not use them, then the greater chance for a fully successful conversion.