Suggested sites to migrate #migration

kjdawson1

If everyone could provide their recommendations on what sites to migrate to, that are wikis or nonwikis, it would be much appreciated.

Tom H

There's no simple answer but I empathise with your question. I still have not determined what I will do.

Have you reviewed the tables in the Databases area of this forum? Is your site to be public or private or mixed public/private? One author or multiple? Support discussions? Large or small? Many pages or few? Many files or few? Do you have site building skills or the aptitude and willingness to learn? How much are you prepared to pay for one-time migration, for ongoing hosting and support?

kjdawson1

Thanks for reply. My site is just one class that is more static then dynamic. Only have one class with at most 12 people. I am thinking of Moodle. They are free for up to 250 MB. I only have text and YouTube embedded and linked videos for maybe 12 sessions of classes and some PowerPoint presentations embedded in the wiki. Nothing too dynamic. I am also thinking of going to word press.  They are doing some interesting stuff. If you have any suggestions now that you know my specific case, it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

On 24 Jun 2018, at 9:20 am, Tom H <ve3meo@...> wrote:

[...]

Edited

That describes your site and its purpose but leaves most of my questions unanswered except by inference which could be wrong.
  1. Have you reviewed the tables in the Databases area of this forum?
  2. Is your site to be public or private or mixed public/private?
  3. One author or multiple?
  4. Support discussions?
  5. Large or small?
    1. Many pages or few?
    2. Many files or few? (you can get a count of these from your Wikispaces Pages and Files page.
  6. Do you have site building skills or the aptitude and willingness to learn?
  7. How much are you prepared to pay:
    1. for one-time migration,
    2. for ongoing hosting and support?
​I'm guessing that you want to DIY because you are looking at Moodle and WordPress. I know nothing about the former and have dabbled only a bit in the latter. I think the easiest solution is a HTML website with FTP or other bulk upload of the pages and files exported by Wikispaces to HTML. The simple result is a public website for which you alone are the author. Once you get into restricted access, other editors, discussions, et al, things get more complex requiring more complex solutions.

I just put some effort into building a successor​ for my public Wikispaces site on Groups.io and ran into the unexpected problem that it is not well-suited for public viewing (not without some enhancements).  Its support for privacy, wiki-like pages, HTML and WYSIWYG editing of pages and posts, email discussions et al might be all you need without a steep learning curve. It does not support importing of pages so it would be attractive if you do not have many pages to build but you can copy the exported HTML right into its message editor so they can be made pretty quickly.

I am looking at WordPress again - @lectrichead has posted some great stuff about migrating a Wikispaces export to it. It's challenging to do a successful import and  the plethora of options and templates et al is daunting.

Also re-looking at DokuWiki but, still, Wikispaces does not actually export a compliant DokuWiki set of files - page names and all hyperlinked  files must have names in lower case with a narrower character set than Wikispaces allowed us to use. So all filenames must be changed along with any links thereto in the pages.

Similar thing with its MediaWiki export, which also does not export the pages wrapped in XML which is a MW requirement for import.

Apart from HTML, bulk imports of other formats have complications that argue for getting someone else to do it. If you are prepared to build your new site one page at a time, then you could use almost anything.

kjdawson1

Thanks I appreciate your responsiveness. I am just going to  heck out Moodle and then Wordpress. I have copied And pasted my text and graphics to  word then may have to copy and paste to either Moodle or Wordpress. Will see how it goes. Moodle is pretty widespread here in Australia, so I may try that first. Take care and good luck with your web site.

Tom H

I see that Moodle is a Learning Management System and would give you lots of potential to evolve from a simple set of pages accessible to your students to very much more. And, as you do not appear to be bothered with having to migrate a lot of content, you can build afresh with the tools Moodle offers and fit it most appropriately within its framework.

I wonder about migrating content through MS Word. It is notorious for outputting bloated HTML and, as a result, tools have been developed to clean HTML of MS bloat. Word is wonderful and powerful but at the expense of having to store enormous amounts of metadata.

Please let us know how you get on with your transfer.