Topics

A Script to Import into MediaWiki #mediawiki #migration

Tom H

Edited

I came across this 8-day old PHP script: Import wiki from WikiSpaces to MediaWiki

It was referenced in this MediaWiki discussion.

If you try it, let us know how it goes...

Marc M

Cool, going to take a look at it.  You might want to fix the first link though.

Tom H

Any progress @lectrichead? I had a try but am so far down the learning curve, every step is huge. First was a MediaWiki stack from Bitnami which was a breeze to install but after futzing about to get system paths set up, I discovered that it is missing a key piece for the script - something called SOAPclient. I had initially installed the XAMPP PHP Development Environment but was deterred by the steps required to install MediaWiki - anyway, I found that it has the SOAPclient but that's as far as I got due to tax return deadline and other things.

The call to SOAPclient made me realize that this script uses the Wikispaces API to directly download pages (along with version histories and maybe other things like tags, discussions, etc). However, the API appears to be available solely on Wikispaces Private Label sites. Since mine is not, it would be pointless to go any further.

I have heard, though, from EditMe.com that they are working on an import process for the API. Perhaps an arrangement can be made for non-Private Label wikis to be granted temporary API support (well, everything is now temporary because of the drop-dead date).

Marc M

I didn't get far.  I installed a few Mediawiki installations, played around with it a bit (which I have before also), and started looking at what I needed to do to get the command line script to work and abandoned the effort after a bit, uninstalling the Mediawiki installations and MySql databases. Ugh. I like to think that as an experienced webmaster and coder for many years I can eventually pull out a working knowledge of something like this but I felt that it was way too much work.
I am making more progress on a manual import into Dokuwiki, as it doesn't use an actual database.

International_Man_of_Mystery

The Wikispaces SoapAPI works with Plus/Super and Private Labels

Currently there are some features missing on what you can do with the API , but from what I have heard they are working on adding these

Tom H

I burrowed into this only to learn that the script needs lots of work to render the results satisfactory. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Wikispaces API does function for a Plus site which mine is.

Having just completed an import, a look at random pages shows lots of problems:
  • some 6% of my WS pages did not import at all - likely those with some forbidden character such as ">", "!".
  • some images are lost
  • external images are mistakenly linked to the MediaWiki URL as root and, when clicked, want to create a new page
  • tables are untranslated from Wikispaces code
  • code blocks from WS code widget are fragmented into plain text with markup tags and sections of code
  • some WS file links generate new pages instead of opening the file's metadata page
  • WS Discussions, Comments and Tags not imported
  • it looked like Page Histories and versions would import but they did not
On the positive side:
  • Imported pages all had a nice title; even those with commas, question marks and π (pi) were okay
  • Some WS users were imported - probably only the page authors, not authors of comments or discussions and certainly not those who had authored nil.

I got this to work by installing XAMPP and then the Bitnami MediaWiki module on top. Had to edit php.ini to uncomment "extension=soap" and, to track down an error I was making on the command line, I added "$wgShowExceptionDetails = true;" to LocalSettings.php in the MediaWiki folder. I had previously tried the Bitnami MediaWiki package but it was missing SOAP and maybe other required stuff.

Here's a comparison of an imported page with the original:

The import is but a fraction of the original...

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 11:45 am, Tom H wrote:
The import is but a fraction of the original...
because only the oldest version was imported, not the newest. And I did manage to get all versions imported but the timestamp (1970) was wrong and all the same and I think that's why it was the first version that came in the first time and why it continued to be regarded as the latest. By focussing on the import of 1 page only, I've been able to get the options sorted so that the Wikispaces timestamp is imported for each version so the latest version in WS is now also the current version in MediaWiki. Here's the resulting history in MediaWiki:
and the resulting page:

Gergo Tisza

Hi, I'm a MediaWiki developer trying to make migration to MediaWiki easy. I've put together the available information at mediawiki.org/Wikispaces, corrections / expansion welcome!

I'd also be interested in setting up a volunteer project to improve the migration script, but I don't own any Wikispaces wiki myself. Is there anyone willing to provide potential developers with dumps / API access to some wiki for testing?

Terry King

Hi,

I have a large Wikispaces site:

http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/

I can export that for you to test with. Let me know the format you want..

Regards, Terry King
...In the Woods in Vermont USA
terry@...

-The One who Dies with the most Parts LOSES. What do you need??

( https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikispaces ) , corrections / expansion
welcome!

I'd also be interested in setting up a volunteer project to improve the
migration script, but I don't own any Wikispaces wiki myself. Is there
anyone willing to provide potential developers with dumps / API access to
some wiki for testing?

The best format for export is Content Type: MediaWiki  File Type: Unix (tgz)

eQuality Technology

Let's work together

https://equality-tech.com
follow us: https://twitter.com/eQualityTech
creators of https://QualityBox.us

On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 2:02 PM, Terry King <terry@...> wrote:
Hi,

I have a large Wikispaces site:

http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/

I can export that for you to test with. Let me know the format you want..

Regards, Terry King
...In the Woods in Vermont USA
terry@...

-The One who Dies with the most Parts LOSES. What do you need??

On Sat, June 2, 2018 11:45 am, Gergo Tisza wrote:
> Hi, I'm a MediaWiki developer trying to make migration to MediaWiki easy.
> I've put together the available information at mediawiki.org/Wikispaces
> ( https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikispaces ) , corrections / expansion
> welcome!
>
> I'd also be interested in setting up a volunteer project to improve the
> migration script, but I don't own any Wikispaces wiki myself. Is there
> anyone willing to provide potential developers with dumps / API access to
> some wiki for testing?

jburk@...

Hi Gergo,

I'm James Burk, a professional software developer and the Vice President of the Moon Society.  We operate the Lunarpedia.org wiki since 2006, which is running Mediawiki.  We recently modernized the infrastructure it's running on and updated the main logo.

We'd like to rescue all of the content on Moon-Wiki, which is going down on July 31st because of the Wikispaces decommission.  We don't yet have admin on that wiki but are working to get it.  I have been in contact with Danny Caes, one of the main contributors.

I'd like to help with the Mediawiki script as we would like to use something like that.  Moon-wiki has a TON of content including images.

I'm at jburk@... or 206-601-7143

Thanks,

James Burk
Vice President, The Moon Society
jburk@...

Ole Terney

Hi

The site is about 2-3 Gb (13000 files, including about 6000  pages and about 7000 images) and VERY difficult to move [must be cut in slices to download, it seems]

Also, finding a way to do so (to WordPress since moving to DokuWiki did not work) is still going on, and TAKES A LONG TIME TO EXPLORE)

With only 1 month to go, you are in a hurry!

--
Med venlig hilsen
Ole Terney, freelance videnskabsjournalist, redaktør og administrator af BioNyt - Videnskabens Verden (www.bionyt.dk),

BioNyt Videnskabens Verden er det ældste populærvidenskabelige tidsskrift på dansk om almen naturvidenskab.

BioNyt Videnskabens Verden ONLINE er en gratis nyhedstjeneste (lejlighedsvise email med kort tekst og et link). Tilmelding kan ske på siden www.bionyt.dk

Emner i det trykte blad er bl.a. biologi og medicin, men også klima, teknologi og andre emner.

Temanumre af bladet er om f.eks. ebola, teknologi, evolution, atomkraftulykker, astronomi, nanoteknologi, husketeknik, placebo, stamceller, alger, stenalderkost, omega-3 fedtstoffer, livets opståen, DNA-forskning, broccoli-effekten osv.

Artikler er f.eks. om søvn, CERN, osteoporose, Tourettes syndrom, dræbersneglen.

Noter om f.eks. den planteædende edderkop, den nitrogenfikserende myre, musehjertet der kun består af menneskeceller osv.

BioNyt Videnskabens Verden har deltaget flere gange med en stand på Bogforum.

Læsere skrev:
"...enestående tidsskrift. Jeg bliver altid glad, når det dumper ind ad døren. Der er altid artikler i, der fanger min interesse. Lækkert at emnerne bliver behandlet i dybden, men stadig er letfordøjelige."

"...et af de eneste 'organer', der er brugbart til at følge med..."

"...udfylder en meget vigtig rolle ved at bygge bro mellem forskning og resten af samfundet".

ca. 4 nr/år + adgang til supplerende onlineartikler.

Abonnement: Institutioner 585 kr/år, private: 485 kr/år, studerende 385 kr./år, pensionister 375 kr/år (send mail til bionyt@... med ønske om at få et blad-eksempel)

Fred Jones

On 05/06/2018 11:51 PM, Tom H wrote:
On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 11:45 am, Tom H wrote:

The import is but a fraction of the original...

because only the oldest version was imported, not the newest. And I did
manage to get all versions imported but the timestamp (1970) was wrong
and all the same and I think that's why it was the first version that
came in the first time and why it continued to be regarded as the
latest. By focussing on the import of 1 page only, I've been able to get
the options sorted so that the Wikispaces timestamp is imported for each
version so the latest version in WS is now also the current version in
MediaWiki.
Hey, do you know how you did that? What parameters to use?

Thank you.

Tom H

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 11:14 am, Fred Jones wrote:
Hey, do you know how you did that? What parameters to use?
Not sure if I kept a record of my settings. I'll take a look. But so much was wrong with the import, it became a non-starter for me. I had hoped to see some progress based on the offers posted earlier in this thread but I'm aware of none yet.