Topics

Detailed migration instruction for Wordpress #wordpress

Marc M

This gave me a bit of a pause after I received a number of inquiries about this process.

Should I keep it to myself and start charging for doing it?

But I have always believed that information should be basically free, and it's a bit complex but really anyone technically inclined who wanted to could sit down and mess with it could figure out the same process, I think.

Anyway, here is the link to the detailed instructions, with screenshots as needed - http://randombitsbytes.com/migrating-wikispaces-content-to-wordpress/

Tom H

Excellent instructions. Very detailed and thorough. I really appreciate the effort you put into writing it and the public service values you have which motivated you to do so. Still, it is technically challenging so I hope there will be some who take up your offer to help for a fee.

Marc M

An addendum here - I have been evaluating various Wordpress plugins that are specifically to give it more wiki-like functions.  Some were okay, some basic, but the Yada Wiki Plugin turned out to be excellent, and added a number of Wikispaces-like wiki page linking to my site, including autocomplete of link names for insertion, creation of blank pages that would be all set for others to edit, table of contents, shortcodes, widgets, and the ability to have auto-completing wiki links on Pages and Posts as well as the Wiki Pages.  Verynice plugin.  I added a whole section and screenshots to my blog posting on importing into Wordpress.

Tom H

I've been struggling on and off with a DIY migration to WordPress. Getting closer, the number of pages and files that are not imported or to which links are broken is now down to a couple dozen - a manageable quantity to correct manually. For what it's worth, I've been logging my steps into a procedural doc so I can repeat them, as I have had to many times and continue to revise them. I'm sharing it here to:
  1. be of some help to semi-geeks like me
  2. illustrate the complexities that are involved in any migration from Wikispaces
  3. invite comment, suggestions on how the procedures might be improved
My WP site is not ready for showing and it's up and down like a whack-a-mole. I have to get my head around building a main page, adding subscribers & contributors, choosing a style theme and customising if needed, all these WordPressy things I've never worked with before. It's been a major learning curve...