Topics

Export processing slow? #export

Tom H

I requested another HTML export tonight, thinking I would compare the page files from it to those from one made a couple of months back to detect possible improvements that have gone unannounced. That was a couple of hours ago so I am wondering if the Wikispaces server(s) are becoming swamped by the number of exports increasing exponentially as the deadline approaches for Free Wikispaces sites.

A curious glitch happened a week ago - I received 4 messages saying that my export request from April 15, 60 days earlier, had completed and was available for download with the filename carrying the date 20180520-HTML.zip.  No such file shows in my export list, only the 20180415 one. There might be no connection between that glitch and tonight's slow speed. I sure hope it doesn't take 60 days to complete (or 35)! 60 minutes I could live with. Mine is a small site by comparison to some that measure in the 1's and even 10 GB range with thousands of images and other files.

Still waiting some 26 hours later. This is not looking good. Is anyone else experiencing similar inaction?

Completed. 30 hours to produce a 58MB Zip file.

Lesson: Do an export now in case the only one you request in the last week before your Wikispaces site is gone fails to complete.

Then exported a MediaWiki bundle to .tgz format. That took about 19 hours.

There must be a surge of export requests as the July 31 drop-dead date approaches for free Wikispaces sites because export turnaround time has mushroomed. I terminated a 6-1/2 day old DokuWiki export request last night by submitting a fresh one in the faint hope that perhaps it had fallen out of the queue. Not likely the case because the new one is "pending" along with another for MediaWiki that is 5 days old. That week-old request was made not long after I had one for HTML that took only minutes to do. As there had been major improvements to the HTML export, I was interested to see what, if any, changes might have been made to these leading wiki formats. My drop-dead date is Sep 30 on the Plus Plan so I am not stressed by the current slowness but I am concerned for those on the Free Plan. There could be many with no backup at this stage or only an old one that predates the later improvements in export or later activity on their sites. Will Wikispaces extend the deadline?

Early this morning, a Wikispaces Support tech (TES_Matthew) issued a Dokuwiki Export request on my site, supplanting my July 12 MediaWiki request that was still pending. Presumably, that was in response to my July 15 message to the Help desk a couple of days ago about my July 10 request that was still pending. Now I have two pending DokuWiki requests from July 16 and 18 - both pending. I had replaced my unfinished July 10 on the 16th and his today terminated mine on the 12th.

Were I facing July 31 as my site's drop-dead date, I'd be getting worried.

9 days! That's how long my July 10 MediaWiki export request took to complete. And it completed despite being bumped off the 2-export display. Maybe there is no limit on the number of export requests; at least, it is larger than the display limit. And that could be contributing to export server overload as users, frustrated by the never-ending "pending" status, issue fresh requests.

Edited

Or did Support intervene and do something special? I just discovered that my July 16 and 18 requests have also been fulfilled, although no email notice has been delivered email notices all timestamped within 2 minutes of each other. So that would be 9 days, 3 days and 1 day respectively, the last request issued by Support person TES_Matthew.

Export requests yesterday subsequent to my last post in this thread have been completed in a couple of minutes. Export processing time has been very volatile.

I also discovered that old exports that have been displaced from the Export/Backup page (limit of 2 on the page on the Plus plan) by newer requests are retrievable by deleting the later exports. They reappear on the page. The link in the email message reporting the export is ready dead ends unless the export in question is listed on the page. Exports that you delete on the page are gone, of course.

Neither MediaWiki nor DokuWiki appear to have been improved or changed in the last month or longer while HTML has, for the better. Although the export page options the export of Discussions and Comments on the HTML page, I see no sign of the inline Comments, yet.

A HTML-Zip export tonight took just a couple of minutes. That's encouraging for those wanting to download near the end but they better have an early download in case...