Topics

Migrating to EditMe #editme

Tom H

A new entry on Wikispaces page Site Closure › Classroom and Free Wikis is EditMe which offers a Wikispace migration tool and free trial. The video demo shows it importing the HTML Export with conversion of Wikispaces on-page Discussions to EditMe on-page Comments. There is no demo of what happens to Wikispaces in-page Comments.

Are there alternatives to Wikispaces I can use?

There are many sites that are similar to Wikispaces and used for education purposes.  We would recommend conducting your own research in order to locate a site right for your needs and set up or contact that company directly.

EditMe
https://www.editme.com/
​The simplest wiki solution for your business or classroom. Share content and files, capture knowledge and manage processes.
Three tiers of service $19 | $49 | $149 monthly but discount available:

Special Pricing

If you're an employee of a qualified educational or non-profit organization, we offer significant discounts if you are willing to commit to a year of service. If you're interested, please contact us for details.

I found their Customer Sites page to be largely filled with broken links or ones that opened sites that are not EditMe sites, indicating a large turnover since the page was last validated and updated.

Tom H

Edited

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 07:31 pm, Tom H wrote:
...EditMe which offers a Wikispace migration tool and free trial. The video demo shows it importing the HTML Export with conversion of Wikispaces on-page Discussions to EditMe on-page Comments.
Looks like EditMe had a false start with Wikispaces migration. I started a Free Trial (31 days) and followed the video instructions only to find the Import Wikispaces Module is not where the video shows it should be. Perhaps they pulled it off after some initial customers ran into issues...

Edited

EditMe had the Import Wikispaces Module back on today. I tried the  process and it errored out. I hadn't heard back from Support that they had corrected anything but tried it a few hours later and it completed without reporting any error. All 265 pages in the Wikispaces Export were imported. Wikispaces Page Discussions became EditMe Page Comments. Wikispaces Page Comments also became EditMe Page Comments. I have to postpone the review until later but the results are encouraging and the procedure is simple. You can see the results at http://sqlite4rootsmagic.editme.com/ and compare to the original Wikispaces site (it has had minor edits since the Export) at the link in my signature.

CiviHosting

You can see the results at http://sqlite4rootsmagic.editme.com/ and compare to the original Wikispaces site (it has had minor edits since the Export) at the link in my signature.
Looks good but I do note that on your Wikispaces home page

https://sqlitetoolsforrootsmagic.wikispaces.com/

there is a link to " Sharable Events - Find and Convert to Shared " in the comments which works on Wikispaces but links to "File Not Found" on your EditMe site.

The only caveat I have with EditMe is that it is a proprietary system, just like Wikispaces, and while they also provide an export feature, it's not compatible with any other system either. This is one of the main problems with Wikispaces. :(

Open source tools like DokuWiki and WordPress, however, are portable, meaning one can take a backup and install it on another server, in the event one needs to change providers for any reason.

Thank you,
CiviHosting

Tom H

Edited

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 07:54 am, CiviHosting wrote:
there is a link to " Sharable Events - Find and Convert to Shared " in the comments which works on Wikispaces but links to "File Not Found" on your EditMe site.
Thanks. I see a link in the Comments and a link on another page from an image, both of which have URLs that need to have "%20" replaced by "-" to connect to the imported page each wants.
The only caveat I have with EditMe is that it is a proprietary system, just like Wikispaces, and while they also provide an export feature, it's not compatible with any other system either. This is one of the main problems with Wikispaces. :(
That is certainly a consideration in choosing a migration target. I have noted that Groups.io exports its message archive in MBOX format which I think is plain text (no HTML?) and has no mass download for Files and Photos.

I'm posting the following exchange with Mirek Cymer through EditMe Support with his permission. Note that processes that depend on the Wikispaces API cannot function beyond the earlier of Wikispaces shutdown of your Plan or your Wikispaces Domain Redirect, whichever comes first.

Mirek Cymer, Jul 16, 13:55 EDT:
Hello Tom,

Thank you for following up, and I'll be happy to provide some updates.  We've had a couple revisions of the module as noted on https://wiki.editme.com/ImportWikispaceModule.  That wiki page also provides information on the usage of the module as well some tips and a link to two walk-through videos of the module in action (https://www.editme.com/Wikispaces-Migration).  We did end up adding the tag import and user authentication (part 2 and 3 of the module), which utilize the Wikispace API.  The latter is mostly a workaround for the Wikispace API not allowing an export of user passwords.  What the API does allow is authenticating users, so we leverage that to validate a matching username and password on the EditMe login form.  I can certainly provide more details on that, but essentially it allows the user to log into EditMe once they provide a username and password that validates successfully in an admin preset wikispace.  Since the user enters his/her password to validate, EditMe can then know what it is and store it for future logins independent of Wikispace.

Since about the middle of May, almost 200 wikispace migrations to EditMe have been done using that module.  Some of those wiki admins ran into a few issues, so we worked through those using these support tickets and added some tips to the https://www.editme.com/Wikispaces-Migration wiki page.  I can try to see if any administrators are OK with showing off their site, but for anyone looking to migrate out of Wikispaces, I suggest viewing those walk-through videos, then maybe reading through the wiki page, including the tips sections, and then if EditMe still seems like a potential solution, to click the free trial button at the top of www.editme.com to start a free wiki for a month to test the import out.  While the module appears to have been running pretty smoothly for most, if anyone does run into any issues or has questions, we try to be pretty active in our zendesk support site and help out.

And, thanks for the invite to the group!  I signed up and get email notifications of the updates, which is great, but I haven't yet had a chance to post anything.

Best,
Mirek

xxx, Jul 13, 12:48 EDT:

This is a follow-up to your previous request #3783 "Re: [EditMe Help Desk] Re: ..."

Hello Mirek,

My trial period ended some time ago so I have not been able to repeat an import for comparative results. I'd like to report to my Wikispaces-Refugees (https://wikispaces-refugees.groups.io) group anything you would like to put out there. Would you give me an update on the import services you offer? Any advice to prospects about pre-import things they should do to make it go better? Did you succeed with the API import process? Can you give us some examples of publicly viewable imported sites?