Topics

Problems Migrating to MyWikis #mediawiki #problem #mywikis #migration

Barb Kikta

I am very concerned as well. I have just discovered that my migration to mywikis is a disaster. To clean it uo and make it presentable it will cost me more for the Pro if I want to be able to edit my pages as I do on wikispaces. I don't have time nor the desire to figure it out because it appears in a mywikis syntax "markup" . They offer a Visual editor but at at the PRO level- but I am not sure it will help me. The Editme wiki I have started  is giving me issues with uploading documents. For my wiki I need to upload documents, embed audios and  videos and put on links so it must be a private wiki for my students.

If anyone has discovered another way to manage this I would appreciate the advice.
Barb

To: main@Wikispaces-Refugees.groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Wikispaces-Refugees] Export processing slow? #export

There must be a surge of export requests as the July 31 drop-dead date approaches for free Wikispaces sites because export turnaround time has mushroomed. I terminated a 6-1/2 day old DokuWiki export request last night by submitting a fresh one in the faint hope that perhaps it had fallen out of the queue. Not likely the case because the new one is "pending" along with another for MediaWiki that is 5 days old. That week-old request was made not long after I had one for HTML that took only minutes to do. As there had been major improvements to the HTML export, I was interested to see what, if any, changes might have been made to these leading wiki formats. My drop-dead date is Sep 30 on the Plus Plan so I am not stressed by the current slowness but I am concerned for those on the Free Plan. There could be many with no backup at this stage or only an old one that predates the later improvements in export or later activity on their sites. Will Wikispaces extend the deadline? 

Tom
Looking to move SQLite Tools For RootsMagic from Wikispaces

Jeffrey Wang (MyWikis)

Hi Barbara,
I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated about the migration process. The stark differences between Wikispaces and MediaWiki, the software that MyWikis uses, means that imports with more complicated syntax will require more touching up. Unfortunately, some video embeds are impossible to automatically change to the MediaWiki format because MediaWiki requires the exact filename, whereas Wikispaces used a unique ID that we have no way to match to the appropriate video. Our first person to import their Wikispaces wiki reported they only needed to make a few tweaks, but now that we've had more people migrating to MyWikis, we've seen cases where it's taken a bunch more effort to make the wiki work. The wiki markup you're seeing on your wiki is not MyWikis specific, but is MediaWiki's own markup—the same kind that Wikipedia uses. (We're not a fan of it either, but MediaWiki is still the best wiki software out there overall.) Although VisualEditor may not help with fine-tuning the syntax discrepancies, we did make customers aware of it as an alternative to the existing complicated wiki markup. On our website, we recommend the MyWikis Pro plan to prospective customers because it includes the VisualEditor feature. We also made this clear on the Plans comparison page: https://www.mywikis.com/plans. Pro is our most popular plan and most users who choose the Basics plan do so because they do not need the VisualEditor feature. Since your wiki is for educational purposes, we are able to facilitate your upgrade to a Pro plan for our nonprofit price of $6/month or $60/year. Please let us know on our support system if you would like to upgrade. Thank you for choosing MyWikis!

Barb Kikta

Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you for your quick response and understanding. It is appreciated. Here is the issue. You are a technical expert. I am a user . When I was researching to determine what to do, I understood nothing of the technical side of the conversation that was going on. So I had to jump in and discover the issues involved. Now I know I will need Visual Editor to manage this.

Thanks for the teacher's discount!! I pay, school doesn't . I need to see how it works on my own pages. When I switch to Pro will I see the same code?

Barb

Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 4:51 PM
Subject: Re: [Wikispaces-Refugees] Export processing slow? #export

Hi Barbara,
I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated about the migration process. The stark differences between Wikispaces and MediaWiki, the software that MyWikis uses, means that imports with more complicated syntax will require more touching up. Unfortunately, some video embeds are impossible to automatically change to the MediaWiki format because MediaWiki requires the exact filename, whereas Wikispaces used a unique ID that we have no way to match to the appropriate video. Our first person to import their Wikispaces wiki reported they only needed to make a few tweaks, but now that we've had more people migrating to MyWikis, we've seen cases where it's taken a bunch more effort to make the wiki work. The wiki markup you're seeing on your wiki is not MyWikis specific, but is MediaWiki's own markup—the same kind that Wikipedia uses. (We're not a fan of it either, but MediaWiki is still the best wiki software out there overall.) Although VisualEditor may not help with fine-tuning the syntax discrepancies, we did make customers aware of it as an alternative to the existing complicated wiki markup. On our website, we recommend the MyWikis Pro plan to prospective customers because it includes the VisualEditor feature. We also made this clear on the Plans comparison page: https://www.mywikis.com/plans. Pro is our most popular plan and most users who choose the Basics plan do so because they do not need the VisualEditor feature. Since your wiki is for educational purposes, we are able to facilitate your upgrade to a Pro plan for our nonprofit price of $6/month or $60/year. Please let us know on our support system if you would like to upgrade. Thank you for choosing MyWikis!

Tom H

Barb, your experience is probably typical. It is not a simple process to convert a Wikispaces export into any other host. It's a bit like translating between two languages, neither of which is your mother tongue. If you do it yourself, you need to know the two languages and the quality of your translation will depend very much on how well you know them both and on the effort you put in to make it accurate and stylish. The same is true for any interpreter you may hire to do it for you. No two interpreters are going to produce the exact same translation and the errors they make may be different. MyWikis, EditMe and CiviHosting all offer translation (migration) services from various flavours of Wikispaces exports (which themselves have evolved somewhat recently) to a small set of other platforms. They have MediaWiki in common and one or more also offer DokuWiki and WordPress. 

I cannot tell you which provider currently does a better job of importing or which platform is best suited to your needs. I had free migration trials on all three hosts (thanks to their cooperation) which I've reported on but they are over and each has been improving its import process. In all cases, substantial work would be required on my part to fix problems and develop the navigation/menu system and other things to get the site to look and work acceptably. Their improvements have been informed by the growing number of customers each has helped; given the many features of Wikispaces, there have undoubtedly been many problems.

I have also been exploring DIY on various platforms which has made me realize just how many pitfalls there are. In my case, I seem to be having the greatest success with WordPress, adapting the instructions reported in this forum by @lectrichead - but I'm still far from happy with it and it is challenging to get my head around how WordPress works and the gazillion options there are.

So I fear that you are in a pretty large cohort of Wikispaces Refugees who are discovering that there is no equal to Wikispaces and that, regardless of who carries out the migration, they have to learn a new system, a new way of doing things and will have considerable work to do on their new site to make it usable.  

Tom

Marc M

If you ever need a question answered on Wordpress itself I may be able to help.

Wordpress is certainly a great option, and I agree with everything you said about migration.

Marc M

> I have also been exploring DIY on various platforms which has made me > realize just how many pitfalls there are. In my case, I seem to be > having the greatest success with WordPress, adapting the instructions > reported in this forum by @lectrichead - but I'm still far from happy > with it and it is challenging to get my head around how WordPress > works and the gazillion options there are.

Barb Kikta

Thank you very much, Tom for taking the time to explain what the issues are in migrating from wikispaces at a level I understand:) I thought it would be easy since I only need to embed audio and video, post word documents and links. I am not concerned about design since this is a "resource site for students" not a commercial site for public viewing. I am working on this with the support people from Mywikis and Editme who have been very responsive and patient trying to get my demos working properly.  

Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 5:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Wikispaces-Refugees] Problems Migrating to MyWikis #mediawiki #problem #mywikis #migration

Barb, your experience is probably typical. It is not a simple process to convert a Wikispaces export into any other host. It's a bit like translating between two languages, neither of which is your mother tongue. If you do it yourself, you need to know the two languages and the quality of your translation will depend very much on how well you know them both and on the effort you put in to make it accurate and stylish. The same is true for any interpreter you may hire to do it for you. No two interpreters are going to produce the exact same translation and the errors they make may be different. MyWikis, EditMe and CiviHosting all offer translation (migration) services from various flavours of Wikispaces exports (which themselves have evolved somewhat recently) to a small set of other platforms. They have MediaWiki in common and one or more also offer DokuWiki and WordPress. 

I cannot tell you which provider currently does a better job of importing or which platform is best suited to your needs. I had free migration trials on all three hosts (thanks to their cooperation) which I've reported on but they are over and each has been improving its import process. In all cases, substantial work would be required on my part to fix problems and develop the navigation/menu system and other things to get the site to look and work acceptably. Their improvements have been informed by the growing number of customers each has helped; given the many features of Wikispaces, there have undoubtedly been many problems.

I have also been exploring DIY on various platforms which has made me realize just how many pitfalls there are. In my case, I seem to be having the greatest success with WordPress, adapting the instructions reported in this forum by @lectrichead - but I'm still far from happy with it and it is challenging to get my head around how WordPress works and the gazillion options there are.

So I fear that you are in a pretty large cohort of Wikispaces Refugees who are discovering that there is no equal to Wikispaces and that, regardless of who carries out the migration, they have to learn a new system, a new way of doing things and will have considerable work to do on their new site to make it usable.  

Tom

Jeffrey Wang (MyWikis)

Hi Barbara,
Thank you for being understanding of the tricky situation we have here. Again, I totally understand the frustration and I know that everyone here is trying to use the best platform possible for them, so if EditMe ends up being a better alternative, we will be able to offer you a refund for the most recently paid month if you decide to cancel.

Barb Kikta

Hi Jeffrey, 
I cannot get in to my mywikis account.
Barb

Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Wikispaces-Refugees] Problems Migrating to MyWikis #mediawiki #problem #mywikis #migration

Hi Barbara,
Thank you for being understanding of the tricky situation we have here. Again, I totally understand the frustration and I know that everyone here is trying to use the best platform possible for them, so if EditMe ends up being a better alternative, we will be able to offer you a refund for the most recently paid month if you decide to cancel.

Jeffrey Wang (MyWikis)

Hi Barb,
I'll help you on the support system.

Barb Kikta

Hi Jeffrey,

I can get in to my account now.Thank you. I had a question but my ticket was refused -too many open. Sorry.

My word documents are not transferring. The links are there but no document.

Thanks, 
barb

Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:32 PM

Hi Barb,
I'll help you on the support system.

Jeffrey Wang (MyWikis)

Hi Barb,
I replied to you on your ticket - I showed you a way to make the links work. All the documents have already been imported onto your wiki, so no need to reupload anything.